Research Experiences are sustained scholarly or creative projects developed under the direction of a faculty mentor that culminate in a formal presentation, publication, performance or exhibition. A "sustained project" is one that lasts for a minimum of one semester. If the primary research mentor is not a faculty member, there must be a faculty member who approves the project.
Through the Research Experience, students will demonstrate the ability to:
- Apply research methods appropriate for the student's discipline; and
- Engage in ongoing critical discussion within their chosen field.
To meet the criteria of the Research Engagement Area, students may complete 1 of the 4 activities:
- Conduct research through the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP)
- Conduct research through Honors in the Major
- Conduct research through the Global Citizenship Certificate capstone course
- Conduct research, or a sustained scholarly or creative project, under the direction of an FSU faculty member for at least one semester and complete the required formal culmination (public dissemination) of your research.
- Examples of such scholarly or creative projects could include:
- Examples of the required formal culmination (public dissemination) of your research could include:
- Honors in the Major thesis defense
- Presentation or poster at the President's Showcase of Undergraduate Research Excellence (Fall semester)
- Presentation or poster at Undergraduate Research Symposium (Spring semester)
- Presentation at CRE Research Day (Fall and Summer semesters)
- Conference presentations such as the ACC Meeting of the Minds or Florida Undergraduate Research Conference
- Publication in the OWL or other journals
GGSS students have until the semester following the completion of their Research Engagement Area Reflection to complete the formal culmination. If a student is submitting the Research Engagement Area Reflection in their final undergraduate semester at FSU they must complete the formal culmination either prior to submitting the reflection or by the last day of the semester.