An effective leadership learning experience is an educational, developmental or engagement activity with the intentional purpose of developing and enhancing leadership knowledge and practice.
Through approved GGSS leadership experiences, students will demonstrate the ability to:
- Articulate the essential practices of effective leadership
- Display respect for multiple perspectives
- Build collaborative working relationships with others
To meet the criteria for the Leadership Engagement Area, students are expected to successfully complete TWO OF THE THREE leadership sub-areas: Leadership Education, Leadership Development, or Leadership Engagement.
- Students must complete two sub-area activities utilizing separate experiences.
- Students must complete the activities for both of their chosen sub-areas of Leadership before submitting reflections.
Exception for Graduating SeniorsSeniors submitting their Leadership Area of GGSS as their final area during their graduating semester must have completed the activities for both of their Leadership sub-areas OR must have completed the activities for one of their Leadership sub-areas and are currently in the progress of completing their second Leadership sub-area.
Final Semester Senior ExamplePat is graduating this spring semester. They already completed and reflected on their first two areas of GGSS – Service and International - last semester. Both reflections were approved. Pat is submitting their final area for GGSS by the January deadline and has chosen Leadership as this final area. Pat completed an approved GGSS Leadership Development experience last summer. Pat is currently enrolled in and taking an approved GGSS Leadership Course. Pat is eligible to submit a Leadership reflection for the January deadline because all of the following are true:
- Pat is graduating this semester.
- They have already completed the other area reflections for GGSS.
- Leadership is the final area to submit.
- All of the criteria for their first sub-area (in Pat’s case, it’s Leadership Development) has been approved and completed.
- The second remaining Leadership sub-area (Leadership Course) is in progress.
Leadership Sub-Areas (choose TWO of THREE):
1. Leadership Education: Students will register for and successfully complete a GGSS approved three-credit course designed to teach leadership theory and leadership issues in their professional or creative contexts with a grade of C- or better or a Satisfactory (S) if taking the course S/U.
Courses not on the GGSS Approved Leadership Course list may be submitted for review if it meets certain criteria.
Criteria for Submitting a Leadership Course for GGSS ReviewCourses not on the GGSS Approved Leadership Courses list may be submitted for review if they meet the following criteria:
- the course is a Florida State University Course OR a State of Florida University System course with an LDR prefix;
- leadership theory is demonstrated through required readings and class assignments that critically reflect on leadership;
- leadership theory to practice is connected through assignments and class topics throughout the entire course; and
- the course includes a personal application of leadership theory to practice to student growth and development.
Students may submit a course for review via the GGSS Portal if it meets all of the above criteria. A course syllabus must be uploaded to the GGSS Portal as part of the review submission.
Faculty may submit a course for review via email (link to email) if it meets all of the criteria. Please attach a syllabus and brief description of how the course meets each of the above criteria.
Submission for Leadership Course review must occur at least one semester prior to desired participation in the course and prior to a student completing the Intent to Participate application for GGSS. The review period for a submitted leadership course is a minimum of two weeks. It is highly encouraged to submit courses for review as early as possible.
- Leadership Development: Students will engage in an FSU leadership development program that focuses on their individual understanding and reflection of leadership knowledge, skills, and values while being mentored by an FSU Faculty/Staff member. GGSS Approved Leadership Development Programs. A Leadership Development program not on the GGSS Approved Leadership Development Programs list may be submitted for review if it meets certain criteria.
Criteria for Submitting a Leadership Development Program for GGSS ReviewLeadership Development Programs not on the GGSS Approved Leadership Development Program list may be submitted for review if they meet the following criteria:
A Leadership Development Program must be:
- a Florida State University structured leadership development program approved through GGSS;
- a program in which the student’s experience is facilitated by an FSU staff/faculty mentor or coach who is invested in that individual student throughout their experience; and
- a minimum of 50 hours of participation in this program.
Students may submit a Leadership Development program for review via the GGSS Portal if it meets the above criteria. When submitting for review, students must also upload a completed and signed Mentor Agreement Form (link). Submission for Leadership Development review must occur at least one semester prior to desired participation in the program and prior to a student completing the Intent to Participate application for GGSS. The review period for a submitted Leadership Development program is a minimum of two weeks. It is highly encouraged to submit for review as early as possible.
- Leadership Engagement: Students will engage in hands-on leadership learning through a facilitating change effort in their campus, local, or global community. Engagement experiences will be:
- a structured activity that provides the student the opportunity to create and lead university or community change;
- an activity that involves active participation for a minimum of two consecutive semesters; and
- a minimum of 50 hours of engagement over the course of both semesters. Students who choose Leadership Engagement as one of their Leadership Areas for GGSS must complete two additional reflection essays on this specific activity. Additional Essay Reflection Prompts Each of these essays must be 200-250 words in length,
- These hours are not required to be logged on ServScript; however, the student is encouraged to do so if the activity meets the ServScript criteria.
- Describe the focus of the organization program and how your role supported positive change in the community(ies) in which you were involved>
- Identify how you have applied leadership knowledge, skills, and values during your Leadership Engagement experience listed above>