An effective leadership learning experience is an educational, developmental or practical experience with the intentional purpose of developing and enhancing leadership knowledge and capacity.
Through approved GGSS leadership experiences, students will demonstrate the ability to:
- Articulate the essential practices of effective leadership
- Demonstrate the ability to connect leadership education to experience
- Display respect for multiple perspectives
- Build collaborative working relationships with others
To meet the criteria for the Leadership Engagement Area, students are REQUIRED to successfully complete the Leadership Education sub-area and must complete ONE of the other two sub-areas: Leadership Development or Leadership in Practice (formerly Leadership Engagement).
- Students must complete the Leadership Education sub-area and either the Leadership Development or Leadership in Practice sub-area.
- Students must complete the activities for both Leadership sub-areas before submitting reflections.
1. Leadership Education (Required): Students will register for and successfully complete a GGSS approved three-credit course designed to teach leadership theory and leadership issues in their professional or creative contexts with a grade of C- or better or a Satisfactory (S) if taking the course S/U. Note: this course cannot be taken in the last semester.
Courses not on the GGSS Approved Leadership Course list may be submitted for review if it meets certain criteria.
Criteria for Submitting a Leadership Course for GGSS Review
- the course is a three-credit hour Florida State University Course OR a State of Florida University System course with an LDR prefix;
- leadership theory is demonstrated through required readings and class assignments that critically reflect on leadership;
- leadership theory to practice is connected through assignments and class topics throughout the entire course; and
- the course includes a personal application of leadership theory to practice to student growth and development.
Students may submit a course for review via the GGSS Portal if it meets all of the above criteria. A course syllabus must be uploaded to the GGSS Portal as part of the review submission.
Faculty may submit a course for review via email to firstname.lastname@example.org if it meets all criteria. Please attach a syllabus and brief description of how the course meets each of the above criteria.
Submission for Leadership Course review must occur at least one semester prior to desired participation in the course and prior to a student completing the GGSS application. The review period for a submitted leadership course is a minimum of two weeks. It is highly encouraged to submit courses for review as early as possible.
2. Leadership Development: Students will engage in one of these Approved Leadership Development Programs that focuses on their individual understanding and reflection of leadership knowledge, skills, and values that is implemented by an FSU Faculty/Staff member.
A Leadership Development program not on the GGSS Approved Leadership Development Programs list may be submitted for review if it meets certain criteria.
Criteria for Submitting a Leadership Development Program for GGSS Review
- a structured leadership development program house in an FSU college/department/office;
- a program in which the student’s experience is facilitated by an FSU staff/faculty mentor or coach who is invested in that individual student throughout their experience
Faculty/Staff may submit a Leadership Development program for review via the GGSS Portal if it meets the above criteria.
Submission for Leadership Development review must occur at least one semester prior to desired participation in the program. The review period for a submitted Leadership Development program is a minimum of two weeks. It is highly encouraged to submit for review as early as possible.
3. Leadership in Practice (formerly Leadership Engagement): Students will engage in hands-on leadership learning through a facilitating change effort in their campus, local, or global community through one of these Approved Leadership In Practice Opportunities or through a opportunity of their own choosing. Leadership in Practice experiences will be:
- a structured activity that provides the student the opportunity to create and lead university or community change;
- an activity that involves active participation for a minimum of two consecutive semesters; and
- a minimum of 50 hours of engagement over the course of both semesters. These hours are not required to be logged on ServScript; however, the student is encouraged to do so if the activity meets the ServScript criteria.
Students who choose Leadership in Practice as one of their Leadership Areas for GGSS must complete two additional reflection essays on this specific activity. Each of these essays must be 200-250 words in length:
- Describe the focus of the organization/program and how your role supported positive change in the community(ies) in which you were involved.
- Identify how you have applied leadership knowledge, skills, and values during your Leadership in Practice experience listed above.
Exception for Graduating Seniors
Final Semester Senior Example
- Pat is graduating this semester.
- Pat has already completed and been approved for their other two GGSS Engagement Area reflections.
- Leadership is the final area to submit.
- All of the criteria for Leadership Education sub-area has been approved and completed.
- The second remaining Leadership sub-area (Leadership Development) is in progress.
In the case of transfer students, we can make an exception for your Leadership Education (course) sub-area if you completed a leadership course at your previous institution(s) that met the criteria outlined above.
Follow the instructions provided above for leadership course submission requests, making sure to state in your explanation that this is a leadership course from a prior institution.
Once submitted, email email@example.com to inform administrators of this special consideration request.