• FAQs

Engagement Area Specific Questions: Research

What should I check on my Application for the Research Engagement Area?

You should check the appropriate boxes for the activities you have, or plan to, complete that meet the Research Engagement Area requirements. 

Do I have to be a science major to do research?

FSU encourages research in all majors. Research is not limited to the sciences and laboratory work; it includes creative endeavors in the arts; such as a film or theater performance. Refer to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Academic Engagement for more information.

How long do I have to do research to qualify for Garnet and Gold Scholars Society?

The research or creative project must last a minimum of one semester (including summer).

Do I have to get academic credit for the research project?

No, you do not have to receive academic credit for the research. However, many students do receive academic credit through Directed Individual Study (DIS), Honors in the Major credit, or through a research-focused course.

Can I get compensated for research?

Although students often volunteer for research projects, students may receive work-study funds if they are eligible or receive funding from a professor or other program. Please contact the Center for Undergraduate Research and Academic Engagement (CRE) or the Office of National Fellowship for funding opportunities.

How can I get started with research?

If you are first year student, then you may apply to the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program. Otherwise, review the Center for Undergraduate Research and Academic Engagement (CRE) website for more information on how to get started.

What is a culminating project?

Your research or creative project should culminate in a presentation, publication, exhibition, or performance. A central part of research is sharing your work, so a culminating project should not simply be a paper that you turned in to your professor. The project should be shared in some kind of public forum, such as FSU's Spring Undergraduate Research Symposium or The OWL, FSU's Undergraduate Research Journal. Departmental events and Honors Theses Defenses count as a culminating project. Please contact cre@fsu.edu with any questions about the eligibility of culminating projects.

Legacy Sort
Legacy Priority
title-inside title-centered