An effective leadership learning experience is an educational, developmental or engagement activity with the intentional purpose of developing and enhancing leadership knowledge and practice.
Through the Leadership Experience, students will demonstrate the ability to:
- articulate the essential practices of effective leadership;
- display respect for multiple perspectives; and
- build collaborative working relationships with others.
To meet the criteria for the Leadership Experience, students are expected to successfully complete two of the three learning activities listed below. You must complete the two learning activities with separate experiences.
Leadership Education: Students will register for and successfully complete (with a grade of C- or better) a three-credit course designed to teach leadership theory and leadership issues in their professional or creative contexts.
For a course to be approved it must meet the following requirements:
- It must be a Florida State University Course;
- Leadership theory must be demonstrated through readings and class assignments;
- Leadership theory to practice must be connected through assignments and class topics;
- The course must include a personal application of leadership theory to practice to student growth and development.
Courses may be selected from a listing of approved leadership courses within each college or one of the Undergraduate Certificate in Leadership Studies courses. Students and/or faculty may also submit a course syllabus for review if they believe it meets the leadership course criteria. The review period for a submitted leadership course is two weeks. Students should submit their course for review prior to submitting their Intent to Participate.
Leadership Development: Students will engage in a leadership development activity focused on their individual understanding and reflection of a leadership knowledge, skill, and/or value.
Development experiences will be:
- A Florida State University structured leadership development program;
- A program in which the student is facilitated by an FSU staff/faculty mentor or coach, who is invested in that individual student, throughout his/her experience.
- A minimum of 50 hours of participation in this program.
Programs may be selected from an approved leadership development program listing; students and/or staff may also submit programs for review. If a new activity is submitted for review, students must also submit the Mentor Agreement Form with the Program Review Form. The review period for a submitted leadership development program is two weeks. Students should submit their activity for review prior to submitting their Intent to Participate.
Leadership Engagement: Students will engage in hands-on leadership learning through a change effort in their campus, local, or global community.
Engagement experiences will be:
- A student or organizationally structured activity that provides the student the opportunity to create and lead university or community change.
- An activity that the student participated in for a minimum of two consecutive semesters;
- A minimum of 50 hours of engagement in that activity over the course of both semesters.
Students who choose Leadership Engagement as one of their Leadership areas for GGSS must complete a reflection essay on this specific activity.
Additional Essay Reflection Prompt: Identify how you have applied specific leadership knowledge, skills and values during your Leadership Engagement experience listed above.
This essay is in addition to the Leadership Reflection prompts listed below and must be 200-250 words in length.
Leadership Reflection and Evaluation
Utilizing the Garnet and Gold Scholar Society web portal, students will respond to the following reflection prompts relating to their leadership experiences. These responses will be evaluated as part of the process of completion of the Garnet and Gold Scholar Society Program. Students should have their responses reviewed and, if appropriate, edited prior to submission.
Leadership Reflection Prompts
Please provide specific examples and answer all of the prompts below using 200-250 words for each response.
Describe your leadership experiences and articulate what you have learned about the practices of effective leadership
Describe the impact your experience had on your capacity to respect multiple perspectives and build collaborative working relationships with others.
What have you learned in order to enhance your leadership capacity?
How will you apply what you have learned about leadership in your future endeavors? Include your reflections on what you believe you still need to learn to be more effective in your leadership capacity.