Effective internships are typically single-semester or at least six week, paid or unpaid major/ career-related work experiences designed to help students understand the professional applications, theories, ideas, principles and concepts of their academic studies. Involvement may be part-time, as little as 10 hours a week, or full-time.
Through the Internship Experience, students will demonstrate the ability to:
- Explain how their internship responsibilities relate to their major and/or career plans;
- Describe the professional skills developed through the experience and identify areas of additional learning required in support of their professional development; and
- Accomplish at least three self-identified outcomes that are specific and measurable for their internship experience.
To meet the criteria of the Internship Experience, students may choose 1 of the 2 learning activities:
- Complete an FSU Internship Course, which consists of the following:
- Recognition by a Florida State University College or Department; and
- Inclusion on the official transcript with a passing grade of C- or above or an "S" grade
- Complete a Career Center Experiential Learning Recognition Program (Students should choose this option for any internship that is NOT being granted academic credit by the university).
- Career goal-related duties and responsibilities
- At least 60 hours over a semester / summer internship
- Currently completing your internship
- Final approval by the Career Center including student / supervisor evaluations, student assessment of learning outcomes and student reflection
- ECP must be completed during your experiential learning opportunity â€“ ECP recognition cannot be given retroactively. Students must apply for ECP prior to starting their internship. ECP applications are due no later than the end of the official drop/add deadline for the semester they are completing their internship. (Please note: For Summer semesters, this recognition program runs concurrently with Summer Session A.)
- Receive a Certificate of Completion after completing student/supervisor evaluations, student assessment of learning outcomes and student reflection
- Submit application for ECP through your SeminoleLink account. Click on Profile>>Experiential Learning. Complete/submit the request to participate. More information about ECP may be found on the ECP webpage here.
Criteria for Career Center Experiential Learning Recognition Programs include:
Enroll and successfully complete ONE of the Career Center Experiential Learning Recognition Programs:
- Experiential Certificate Program (ECP): Formal Career Center recognition
- Experiential Recognition Program (ERP): Transcript Notation
- Submit application for ERP through your SeminoleLink account
- Enroll in our non-credit (zero  credit hour) bearing course. The course is graded on the S/U system and is administered through Blackboard. Registration for this option coincides with academic course registration windows. Students must apply for ERP prior to starting their internship. ERP applications are due by the end of drop/add for the semester they are completing their internship.
- The ERP course must be taken while completing your experiential learning opportunity.
- The ERP course includes these assignments: student/supervisor evaluations, student assessment of learning outcomes, student reflections and assigned reading reflections.
- Special Note: Students enrolled in the ERP course with zero (0) credit hours will be charged for one (1) credit hour, unless also enrolled in other credit-bearing courses at FSU during the same academic term.
Internship Reflection and Evaluation
Utilizing the Garnet and Gold Scholar Society web portal, students will respond to reflection prompts relating to their internship experiences. These responses will be evaluated as part of the process of completion of the Garnet and Gold Scholar Society Program. Students should have their responses reviewed and, if appropriate, edited prior to submission.